Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Spikey Boy


I know a little kid with a long spikey hair on his forehead who likes to run really fast and says hi to every person he meets every day. When he says hi, he never waits for that person to say hi back; however, if that person says back to him, he will stop running and always have something interesting to say. Just for glimpse of a second, if I don’t say hi back to him, he will continue running and greet every person he bumped into. Another interesting fact about this boy is I don’t see him every day, and sometime when I do see him from afar, I’m too busy doing what I do and miss him in just milliseconds.

This kid’s name is Opportunity. Often, people miss pronounce his name as Luck.

Personally, I never believe in luck. Luck is just the matter of taking the right action when opportunity comes at you. For example, let’s look back to August 19th, 2004. Where was your money on this day and what ran into your mind when Google announced its IPO for $85. If you bought the stock, you would have experienced an increase of 487% on your investment by 2007. Crazy right?

Luck = Opportunity + Preparation

On that morning, I wished I had the money to put in the investment. I wanted it, but I wasn’t prepared.

When you see that little kid named opportunity, make sure you say hello and grab him by his hair on his forehead, because when he passes you, all you can see is just his back and it’s already too late. But moreover, you have to be ready and prepared what that boy will ask you.

“Good luck waits to come to that man who accepts opportunity” – from the book “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George S Clason.

Think big,

Jo

1 comment: